Saturday, June 30, 2007

Blood Pressure Online Lab

1.State a problem about the relationship of age and gender to blood pressure.
One problem is as people get older often times they will start smoking or drinking which can increase blood pressure. Also older people might not exercise as much which results in higher blood pressure

2.Use your knowledge about the heart and the circulatory system to make a hypothesis about how the average blood pressure for a group of people would be affected by manipulating the age and gender of the group members.
I hypothesize that as the age groups increase in age there will be more cases of individual hypertension, thus also bringing up the average blood pressures. By manipulating the gender, I hypothesize that males will have higher blood pressures due to obesity factors.

3.How will you use the investigation screen to test your hypothesis? What steps will you follow? What data will you record?
After all the blood pressures have been taken I will look to see if any individual shows hypertension. If so, the factors of their past medical history will be noted. Then I will go through everyone's history and note the factors, even if they are not hypertensive at this time.

4.Analyze the result of your experiment. Explain any patterns you observed.
Females were broken into 5 groups of 10. Group one is age 11-17, group two 18-24, group three 25-34, group four 35-44 and group five 45-54.
Group One- average BP 116/75. No cases of hypertension. Two of the subjects had a family history of hypertension, and one of these two also lacked exercise
Group Two- average BP 117/75. One case of hypertension. This person had family history, lacked exercise and was 30% overweight. Her BP was 140/91
Group Three-average BP 117/76. No cases of hypertension. Two subjects lacked exercise but did not exhibit hypertension due to this fact
Group Four- average BP 126/81. Three cases of hypertension. Of these three, one had family history and a BP of 140/91, one consumed alcohol and had a BP of 141/92 and the third had no history of any kind but a BP of 142/92
Group Five- average 131/80. Two cases of hypertension. Both of these subjects had high salt diets, lacked exercise, and were 30% overweight. BP's were 144/91 and 145/95. Two other subjects had family history of hypertension, but were not hypertensive themselves.
In the females, regardless of age, 6 out of 50 subjects showed hypertension. 1 of these 6 was 30%overweight with a family history, 1 had a family history only, 1 had no history of anything, 1 consumed alcohol only, and 2 had high salt diets and were obese.

Males Group One- average 117/76. No cases of hypertension. 2 subjects were obese
Group Two- average 127/79. One case of hypertension. This subject had a family history and was obese. BP was 141/91
Group Three- average 130/80. No cases of hypertension. Two subjects had a high salt diet
Group Four- average 130/81. One case of hypertension. This subject had a high salt diet, consumed alcohol and was obese. BP was 142/91.
Group Five- average 135/85. Four cases of hypertension. Of these four all had family history, three were obese, and one consumed alcohol on top of the other factors. BP's were 140/90, 144/91, 142/90, and 146/94
In the males 6 out of 50 subjects were hypertensive. 4 of them fell into the age group 45-54. 5 out of these six were obese and had a family history of hypertension.

5.Did the result of your experiment support your hypothesis? Why or why not? Based on your experiment what conclusion can you draw about the relationship of age and gender to group blood pressure averages?
For the most part these tests supported my hypothesis. To get a more accurate result, I feel that a larger number of subjects would need to be tested. From this experiment it shows there were 6 cases in both genders of hypertension, not just males. It also shows more cases of obesity in males in group 5 with hypertension verses females, whose hypertension was spread throughout the age groups, and not strictly related to obesity.

6.During the course of your experiment, did you obtain any blood pressure reading that were outside of the normal range for the group being tested? What did you notice on the medical charts for these individuals that might explain their high reading?
In both male and females there were 6 cases each of hypertesion. Of these 12 subjects only one (female) had no medical history. The other 11 had any combination of family history, high salt diet, lack of exercise, obesity, or alcohol consumption. More males then females were obese.

7.List risk factors associated with the hypertension. Based on your observation, which risk factor do you think is most closely associated with hypertension?
Risk factors of hypertension include smoking, drug abuse, weight gain, and also family history. In this particular study, weight gain was seen most frequently with hyptertension, along with family history. However, smoking and drug abuse were not listed in subjects history

8.What effect might obesity have on blood pressure? Does obesity alone cause a person to be at risk for high blood pressure? What other factors, in combination with obesity, might increase a
person's risk for high blood pressure?
When someone is obese they have more tissues for the blood to circulate through and take care of. To accompish this, the heart must increase the pressure when it pumps. Obesity alone can cause risk of high blood pressure, but other things such as diet, family history, drinking, can all play a part.
Graphs and charts for this lab

3 comments:

Larry Frolich said...

Jaima, please send me an e-mail when you have the rest of Unit two ready,
LF

Anonymous said...

Hypertension, When to Treat?

The 18 year Framingham Blood Pressure study found increased risk of heart disease and death in people with increased blood pressure 140 to 160, and even more risk above 160.

If you examine the original data from the Framingham study, you will find computer smoothing of the data as published in the medical journals. This gives a smooth gradual line of increasing mortality as blood pressure goes up between 140 and 160. This is called the Linear Model. However, if you examine the raw data, as S. Port did as published in Lancet 1/15/2000, you will find a non-linear threshold of increased risk above 160 systolic, and no increased mortality below 160.

For a more complete review of this controversy in Blood Pressure guidelines, see my newsletter

Blood Pressure Pills for Hypertension, When to Treat? by Jeffrey Dach MD

Jeffrey Dach MD

Achima Abelard said...

My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetes,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancerBipolar Disorder, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Anal cancer.Appendix cancer.Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer.Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,OsteoporosisAlzheimer's disease,Brain cancer.Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Fibroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com,  ..WhatsApp phone number+ 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.